Understanding your ankle fracture injury or complex fracture is important. Our dedicated team of expert orthopedic doctors in Ahmedabad have developed this patient eudcation section to help you understand your fracture better and how we can help fix, correct and heal you as quickly and safely as possible. Dr. Pranav Shah and his team of the best orthopedic doctors in Ahmedabad have been able to successfully solve the hardest of complex fracture of the shoulder type of cases in just a short period of time for most patients ensuring that they had an excellent near perfect full recovery post operation in 99% of the cases. The patient testimonials and case studies presented on the website provide ample evidence that Dr. Pranav Shah and his team of the best orthopedic surgeons in Ahmedaad are amongst the best orthopedic doctors in Gujarat and Rajasthan. The expert Complex Fracture orthopedic doctor team performs at a world class facility CIMS Hospital in Ahmedabad, which has been rated as the best hospital in Gujarat for the year 2018 and is located in India.
Introduction of Region :
The ankle joint is formed by lower end of the leg bones (Tibia & Fibula) and the talus which forms a pilon. A fractured ankle can range from a simple hair line crack in one bone, which may not stop you from walking, to several fractures, which forces your ankle out of place (dislocation) and may require you to avoid weight bearing for a few months. Simply put, the more bones that are broken, the more unstable the ankle becomes. There may be associated ligaments damaged as well. The ligaments of the ankle hold the ankle bones and joint in position.
Causes of Fracture :
The most common causes of a broken ankle or a broken foot include :
- Car accidents - The crushing injuries common in car accidents may cause breaks that require surgical repair.
- Falls - Tripping and falling can break bones in your ankles or feet, as can landing on your feet after jumping down from several feet off the ground.
- Impact from a heavy weight - Dropping something heavy on your foot is a common cause of fractures.
- Missed steps - Sometimes just putting your foot down wrong and twisting can result in a broken ankle. Many broken toes have happened when people stub their toes on furniture.
- Overuse - Stress fractures are common in the weight-bearing bones of your ankles or feet. These tiny cracks are usually caused over the time by repetitive force or overuse, such as running long distances. But they can also occur with normal use of a bone that’s been weakened by a condition such as osteoporosis or a stress fracture.
Do I Require Surgery ? :
Ankle fracture surgery is not needed if the ankle is in position and stable despite the fracture. Ankle fracture surgery may be too risky when patients have a severe medical condition. When the ankle fracture is unstable or in bad position, surgery is needed to repair the ankle. In some cases, the bones of the ankle may poke through the skin. These are called open ankle fractures and require immediate surgery. Sometimes additional surgery for ligament repair also may be requiring.