Types of Deformity Correction
Deformity can be either congenital or acquired.
- Congenital deformity are the ones that develops during early childhood and may include spinal deformity like kyphosis or scoliosis or leg deformities like knock knees or bow legs.
- Acquired deformity on the other hand can be a result of abnormal posture or mal union of a fracture or joint destruction by fibrosis or arthritis.
Treatment of Deformity Correction
With the help of either conservative or surgical method one can overcome the deformity or improve it.
Conservative method :
- In conservative method the deformity is treated without any invasion into the tissues.
- This is mostly done using braces and splints and stretching exercises.
- Mostly useful in congenital deformity, at an early age.
- No instant change is seen but correction is gradual.
Surgical method :
- In surgical method the deformity is corrected using pins and screws with an invasion in the tissues by surgery.
- The procedure requires skill and experience and requires care after the surgery, to avoid its reoccurrence.
- Any deformity either congenital or acquired can be treated using surgical methods to varying degrees of correction.